WHAT THEY WANTED
Lax O’Sullivan Lisus Gottlieb (LOLG) is a premier litigation law firm known for winning some of the most high-profile cases in Canada. LOLG is a well-known, highly respected law firm that is willing to infuse a little humour and creativity into their marketing materials. For years, they have put together some of the wittiest, most irreverent holiday cards around and they are always willing to be avant-garde in their messaging. The firm’s previous website was well received and the couch theme (the homepage had all the lawyers sitting on a couch) was often imitated but never quite duplicated. Even now clients who visit the firm regularly ask about the couch, even though, thanks to the powers of Photoshop, there is no couch and never was. The difficulty for LOLG was although the site was pretty to look at, it was difficult to maintain and over time became stale.
The firm approached Cubicle Fugitive with the intent on building a new website that conveyed a similar level of brand awareness and would garner a similar amount of “street cred” but be very functional and client-friendly. LOLG was looking for a partner that could design and build a highly-functional website that was easy-to-administer, but completely unique in design and branding. They wanted a campaign that highlighted their exceptional (our words, not theirs) litigation experience without taking themselves too seriously. The new campaign would need to be extendible across their business collateral and communications, feel fresh and unique, while also being timeless enough to reflect the firm for the foreseeable future.
HOW WE HELPED
As we do with all our clients, our first step is to embark on an extensive client discovery process. We wanted to know why LOLG is different. What did the lawyers say about themselves and what did others say about them. We took a broad look at current and upcoming competitors, delved into why firms consistently recommend LOLG or refer clients their way. We quickly realized we were dealing with a different type of firm, one highly respected in their field, and very competent in the world of high-stakes litigation. We also quickly identified that, although they take their work very seriously, they don’t necessarily take themselves that way.
The challenge was to design a new overall “look and feel” for the firm without officially rebranding them. To accomplish this goal we executed the following items:
- Simple, elegant design. LOLG wanted a new website that had a simple, minimalist and elegant design. After several iterations, we settled on a flat design with unique touches including a very stylized, animated homepage banner. Subtle touches of retro-infused 3D objects are used both on the homepage and throughout the interior to help emphasize the firm’s unique brand.
- Striking and memorable lawyer biographies. As with any law firm website we design, we pay particular attention to the lawyer biographies. We ensure that the team page is easy to navigate and that the individual lawyer page is easy to skim and find the necessary information but is still very deep and informative. For the LOLG site we designed a very pleasing visual look that is also very functional utilizing the entire screen width and compartmentalizing relevant information in tabs. We chose a very unique and arresting photographic style that is minimalist without being boring. In addition, we assistant with writing, refining and ensuring overall consistency of all the firm bio content.
- Mobile First Strategy. Currently about 30% of traffic to law firm websites comes from mobile, most notably phones (~5% tablets). Although not quite at the threshold of other types of sites, we feel having a strategically designed mobile experience is paramount to a successful website. With LOLG we took great care to ensure that the site worked both on a desktop and on any mobile device that may be viewing it. We designed three separate views for bios, a full screen layout with full image and tabs for content, an intermediate view for tablets that forgoes the full screen image and reorients all the data into a more compact container, and a mobile view that ensures the most important information is at the top and allows for scrolling to reach any auxiliary information. All in all, the mobile design is very striking, easy to navigate and very client-friendly.
- Custom photography. Our vision for the LOLG website revolved around the idea of the lawyers wanting to earn a seat at the table of their clients. To accomplish this, we art directed the photographer to take both full body shots as well as photos of the lawyers seated comfortably as if in a negotiation. We use these seated photos for both the team page and for a visually appealing, easy to use lawyer carousel on the homepage. The bio itself houses all the pertinent information including contact, bio, news, credentials and community investment as well as links to any relevant mandates. We kept the rest of the site very minimal, choosing only a small image of an object that relates to the page to add a little bit of retro-infused interest.
- Succinct and informative content. As we do with many of our busy professionals, we assisted with the writing of much of the site content from catchy headlines to informative and succinct interior page material. LOLG’s previous site did not have any practice area content so we assisted with the development of each area. We also helped write and make consistent all lawyer bios.
- Enterprise-level Content Management System. The previous LOLG website was built in Wordpress and was very difficult to maintain and keep secure. We built the new website on Sitefinity, which is a very powerful tool for website management. Now their site is highly secure, easy to maintain, scalable and very user and search-engine friendly.
- Full 360° Legal Management. We provided LOLG with a full suite of tools to fully manage their website including biography management, practice area management, the ability to upload and organize images and documents and a fully featured publications module that can house presentations, publications, news, events and blogs.
- New Representative Mandates Module. To complement the legal management functionality, we also built LOLG a very robust mandate module that houses all their big wins. This module contains all the necessary information for any cases that the firm deems newsworthy and can be made public. You can interlink these mandates with all area of the website including news, bios and practice areas.